A Word From Dental Hygienist Beth: Fluoride Varnish
What is Fluoride Varnish?
Fluoride varnish is a sticky substance that is painted on to the teeth with a tiny brush to prevent new cavities and stop cavities that have already started. It is quick, painless and doesn’t have a bad taste. The protection from fluoride varnish can last for several months after application.
Who should get Fluoride Varnish Treatments?
Fluoride is safe and recommended for children of all ages – you should know children as young as 12 to 18 months can get cavities!
But fluoride isn’t just for children. Adults can also benefit from fluoride varnish. Some reasons adults may require additional fluoride:
- Tooth decay in the past (susceptible get more)
- Head and neck radiation / Xerostomia patients (more susceptible to decay because of the lack of saliva)
- Gum recession (roots are exposed and could be targeted by bacteria)
- Bridge or crowns (margins can be hiding places for bacteria that cause decay)
- Braces (catch food and bacteria that can harm and discolor the teeth)
We know now that people can keep their teeth for much longer than was previously possible. With the use of fluoride and good oral hygiene practices you can ensure that your teeth remain healthy as you age. Start today – ask your favorite Smile Savers dental hygienist for a fluoride varnish!